We will explain the differences between hyaluronic acid and sodium hyaluronate. and we will take a closer look at the percentage of hyaluronic acid used in products and its associated benefits.
Hyaluronic Acid VS Sodium Hyaluronate: Understanding the Key Differences and Benefits
Everybody wants youthful, hydrated skin, and the search for the perfect product is never-ending in the world of skincare and beauty. Hyaluronic acid (HA) and sodium Hyaluronate (SH) are two of the most sought-after ingredients in the beauty industry. They're celebrated for their ability to lock in moisture and give the skin a plump, radiant complexion. However, despite sounding similar, these compounds differ in some fundamental ways.
Understanding their distinctions is important to make informed decisions about your skincare regimen. In this blog post, Natalie Kingsley-Fieldgrass, the founder of the Embassy of Beauty, will explain the differences between hyaluronic acid and sodium hyaluronate. We'll also take a closer look at the percentage of hyaluronic acid used in products and its associated benefits.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in our skin, connective tissues, and eyes. It's a glycosaminoglycan, which is a long and linear polymer made up of repeating units of glucuronic acid and N-acetylglucosamine. In the context of skincare, hyaluronic acid is known for its exceptional ability to hold and retain water, making it a magnificent hydrating agent. If you're looking to boost hydration or combat dryness, incorporating skincare products with hyaluronic acid in your routine is a must. The percentage of hyaluronic acid in such products can vary but typically ranges from 0.1% to 2%. Aim for a hyaluronic acid concentration of 1% or higher for truly beneficial skincare. Anything less simply won't have the same impact on your skin.
- Deep Hydration: Well-hydrated skin is essential for maintaining a healthy and youthful appearance. Luckily, hyaluronic acid has the ability to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, making it an incredibly effective ingredient for achieving and maintaining optimal hydration levels.
- Plumping Effect: Hyaluronic acid is connected with anti-ageing effects. If you want to achieve a more youthful complexion, hyaluronic acid might be the answer. By attracting moisture, it has the ability to make your skin look fuller and more radiant, while diminishing the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Skin Barrier Support: Having a strong and healthy skin barrier is crucial in protecting your skin from harmful external factors. Luckily, hyaluronic acid can help with that. This powerful ingredient is well-tolerated by all skin types, including those with sensitive skin. So, if you want to give your skin the protection it deserves, incorporating hyaluronic acid into your skincare routine is a no-brainer.
On the other hand, Sodium hyaluronate is the secret ingredient that makes your skincare products work wonders! It is a salt derived from hyaluronic acid and provides long-lasting hydration and a plump, youthful glow. Due to its smaller molecule size, it can easily penetrate the deeper layers of the skin and effectively moisturise it. The compound is modified to increase its stability and shelf life, making it a popular ingredient in skincare products. The percentage of sodium hyaluronate in skincare products can vary but is typically in a similar range as hyaluronic acid. So, next time you're looking for skincare products to add to your beauty routine, check the ingredients for sodium hyaluronate if you are looking for deep hydration.
- Anti-Wrinkle & Plumping Effect: Sodium Hyaluronate is revolutionary in skincare. It's renowned for enhancing skin firmness, smoothening fine lines, and providing intense hydration, making it the perfect ingredient for anti-ageing and moisturising. If you want to achieve a plump, vibrant complexion, Sodium Hyaluronate is the absolute ingredient.
- Enhanced Skin Penetration: When it comes to skincare, moisture is vital. Sodium hyaluronate is a game-changer in this department, thanks to its smaller molecular size which allows it to penetrate deeper into the skin. This means it can provide hydration where it's needed most, leaving your skin feeling plump and refreshed.
- Reduced Risk of Sensitivity: If you have oily or sensitive skin, you know how difficult it can be to find a product that won't cause irritation, clogged pores or allergic reactions. Look no further as this ingredient is specially formulated to cater to sensitive and oily skin. Its gentle formula ensures that it is less likely to trigger blemishes.
- Effective Hydration: Sodium hyaluronate is an excellent choice for those with dry or dehydrated skin as its smaller molecules are highly effective at providing efficient hydration. Experience the benefits of intense moisturisation with sodium hyaluronate.
At the Embassy of Beauty, we offer an impressive array of serums and creams that harness the power of Sodium Hyaluronate or Hyaluronic Acid. Our extensive range includes formulations that combine Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, and derivatives of Hyaluronic Acid, all designed to penetrate deeply into the skin for maximum effectiveness.
Serum vs Cream: Choosing the Right One for Your Skin
When it comes to choosing between a serum and a cream, it's important to keep in mind that serums are typically more powerful and fast-acting. That's why I highly recommend investing in a top-quality serum like Auteur's Definitive Hyaluron Activator, Sapelo's Renewing Serum, or Biologique Recherche's Sérum Elastine. These incredible serums are packed with high-quality sodium Hyaluronate and Hyaluronic acid, making them an excellent choice for those with oily or combination skin. For youthful eyes, try Sapelo's Restoring Eye Serum. With sodium Hyaluronate, it deeply hydrates for lasting results. If you're looking for deeper, faster hydration, then a serum is definitely the way to go.
Maximising Skincare with Both
Enhance your skincare routine by combining different types of skincare products. You can unlock the benefits of each product,
such as pairing a serum with either the Rejuvenating Cream by Sapelo or the Definitive Density Cream by Auteur, both of which are rich in Hyaluronic acid and sodium Hyaluronate,
and complementing them with a hydrating toner such as Ayuna's Facial High or Facial Low.
This powerful combination can visibly transform your skin and help you tackle multiple skin concerns, elevating your skincare routine to the next level.
Please do let us know how you get on with trying them out!
Lots of love,
By Embassy of Beauty